- The major fatty acid in olive oil tryclyglycerols.
- This monounsaturated fatty acid makes up 55 - 85% of olive oil.
- Higher oleic acid content translates into increase durability and shelf life with greater resistance to oxidation.
- Extra virgin olive oil is generally higher in oleic acid than other vegetable fats.
FFA (FREE FATTY ACID)
- A low FFA is desirable.
- Free fatty acid speaks to the condition of the fruit at the time of crush.
- Higher FFA values are indicative of poor quality fruit such as
damaged, overripe, insect infestation, high temperatures during
extraction or too much time between harvest and crush.
- The primary measurement for rancidity in oil
- A very low peroxide value is desirable.
- Peroxides are formed when oils are exposed to oxygen causing defective flavours and odours.
- Higher values are indicative of poor quality and/or storage conditions.
- The healthful antioxidant substances in olive oil which aid in slowing down the natural oxidative processes.
- Phenolic content decreases over time or when exposed to heat, oxygen or light and is an indicator of freshness.
- Polyphenols in extra virgin olive oil are connected with peppery bitterness and other desirable flavour characteristics.
- Consuming fresh, well made olive oil with high polyphenol content is
crucial when looking to obtain the maximum health benefit commonly
associated with extra virgin olive oil
- Low values can indicate oxidized oil & sensory defects.
- A useful indicator of fruit quality and acts as a snapshot of olive oil freshness.
- Used as a means to test for refining/deodorizing.
- Also an indicator of the age of an oil
- This test was developed to measure the degradation of chlorophyll in olive oil.
- This degradation of chlorophylls to pyropheophytin was found to take
place at a predictable pace, making it possible to gain information
about the age of an olive oil.
- The rate at which the
degradation occurs can be accelerated by even short periods of high
- A useful indicator of the presence of deodorized olive oils or soft column refining.